When it comes to writing instruments, Waterman is a name that is often mentioned. The Waterman Phileas fountain pen brand is one of the most popular on the market. If you are looking for a quality pen that will last for years, then you should consider purchasing a Waterman Phileas.
In this buying guide, we will take a look at our favorite options. We will also discuss some of the features that make these pens so popular and provide a buying guide to help you make the best decision for your needs.
About Waterman Phileas
Waterman is a company that has been making pens for over 100 years. They are one of the most well-known and respected brands in the industry. Their pens have great quality, durability, and style.
The Waterman Phileas is a series of pens produced by the company. These pens create a smooth writing experience with a classic design. They are among the most popular options on the market.
The fountain pens have a broad, fan-shaped, two-toned steel and gold-plated nib that tapers to a fine point and is engraved in an Art Deco design. The top of the cap is where the gold-plated pen clip with the Waterman hexagon seal flows from.
The gold-plated ring all around the barrel that looks like an engraved cigar band contrasts with the ebony black crown.
What Makes Waterman Fountain Pens Stand Out?
One of the things that make Waterman fountain pens stand out is their replacement nibs in stock. The company offers a broad range of nib sizes, from extra fine to medium, and each one provides a smooth writing experience.
Another feature that makes these pens so popular is their classic design. The Waterman Phileas FP series is a timeless option that will never go out of style.
Finally, the company’s commitment to quality is another reason why its pens are so popular. Waterman fountain pens will last. The company has over 100 years of experience crafting quality pens, and it shows in its products.
These features combine to create a pen that is sure to please even the most discerning writer. If you are looking for a quality pen that will last a lifetime, then Waterman is a brand you should consider.
Now that we have discussed some of the features that make Waterman fountain pens so popular, let’s take a look at our favorite options.
The Best Waterman Phileas Fountain Pen Options
Here are some Waterman Phileas fountain pen options you should consider:
1. Waterman Phileas Kultur Translucent Crystal CT Fine Point Fountain Pen
Made of durable ABS resin, the Kultur is light for comfortable writing. Instead of being gold-plated, the ring and pocket clip around the nib assembly is in polished chrome. The nib itself is plain steel with no gold trim.
This fountain pen is refillable with either bottled ink or Waterman ink cartridges. This pen has a great nib that writes well on cheap paper and leaves a good mark.
It provides a smooth experience with the right amount of feedback. Except for the extra color and decorations, the section and barrel are identical to the much pricey Phileas.
This fountain pen is well made, sturdy, attractive, and comes with affordable cartridges in a variety of amazing colors. It provides great value for money.
- Brand: Waterman
- Manufacturer: Waterman
- Color: Translucent Crystal with Chrome Trim
- Material: ABS Resin
- Point Type: Fine
- Ink Color: Blue
- Item Weight: 0.353 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 6.94 x 2.03 x 1.22 inches
- Item Model Number: 2073273
- Grip Type: Smooth
- Manufacturer Part Number: 2073273
- ASIN: B00CFM9QHE
- The pen is easy to hold, which adds comfort when writing
- The pen looks unique and stands out from the rest
- This pen would be an ideal choice for a beginner
- The pen does not come in a presentation box
2. Waterman Phileas Solid Black Medium Point Fountain Pen
The Waterman Phileas Solid Black Medium Point Fountain Pen draws from the Art Deco era as its inspiration. It is all-black with an oblong shape, cigar band ring, and fashionable clip. This fountain pen is a medium point, with a 23 karat gold electroplated engraved replacement nib unit.
The cap posts and snaps on and off. The cartridge/converter filling is great because it is simple to keep up with. There are no problems with a clogged nib with the replaceable ink cartridge.
Although the pen contains plastic, it has some lovely gold accents. It feels nice in the hand and is consistent with a much more expensive pen. The medium point’s broad ink line and propensity to bleed through the pages make it a poor choice for writing in Moleskine journals.
- Brand: Waterman
- Manufacturer: Waterman
- Point Type: Medium
- Ink Color: Black
- Item Weight: 4.8 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 6.8 x 2.7 x 1.4 inches
- Item Model Number: 19704W3
- Grip Type: Smooth
- Manufacturer Part Number: 19704W3
- ASIN: B000FNFOC6
- The pen is well-balanced and easy to hold
- The ink flows through the nib of this pen
- The pen offers great value for money with its performance
- The medium nib might come off too thick for some people
How To Choose The Right Fountain Pen
When choosing a fountain pen, you should take into account the following factors:
- Nib size – The nib is the part of the pen that comes into contact with the paper. It is available in different sizes, from extra fine to broad. You should choose a nib size based on your writing style. If you write small, choose a fine or extra-fine nib. If you write larger, choose a medium or firm broad-edged nib.
- Filling system – Fountain pens use either international cartridges or converters to fill the pen with ink. Standard cartridges are easier to use, but converters give you the option to use any color of ink.
- Material – Fountain pens contain different materials, such as plastic, metal, or wood. The material you choose should depend on your budget and the look you want for your pen. When choosing the material, you should also keep in mind how the material will affect the weight and balance of the pen.
- Purchase price – Fountain pens can range in price from under $20 to over $200. When choosing a fountain pen, you should first decide on your budget. Then choose a traditional calligraphy pen that falls within that budget and is at an affordable price.
- Your needs – When choosing a single fountain pen, you should also consider your needs. Do you need a pen for everyday use or special occasions? Do you plan to use it for writing or drawing? This will help you narrow down your choices and find the perfect fountain pen for you.
Why Choose A Fountain Pen Over Other Pens?
Fountain pens offer many advantages over other types of pens, such as:
- Fountain pens are more comfortable to hold and write with for long periods.
- The ink flow from a fountain pen is more consistent than that of other pens, which means fewer smears and less bleeding.
- Fountain pens are available at a wide range of prices, so you can find one to fit your budget.
- When you use a fountain pen, you can choose from a wide variety of inks to get the perfect color for your needs.
- Fountain pens are a classic style of pen that will never go out of fashion.
How To Care For Your Fountain Pen
Caring for your fountain pen is important to keep it in good condition and ensure a long lifespan. Here are some tips on how to care for your fountain pen:
- Clean your pen regularly – You should clean your fountain pens every few months to prevent ink build-up and clogging.
- Store your pen properly – When not in use, store your fountain pen in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or a humid environment.
- Use the right paper – Use high-quality paper that is smooth and does not absorb ink to prevent feathering and bleeding.
- Do not use water to clean your pen – Water can damage the gold nib assemblies of your fountain pen. Use only pen cleaning solutions.
- Do not leave the pen uncapped – Leaving the pen uncapped for too long can cause the ink to dry out and damage the nib.
- Ensure the ink is compatible with your pen – Some inks are not compatible with certain types of fountain pens. Use only inks that are recommended for your pen.
Are Waterman pens worth it?
Waterman pens are worth the investment, especially if you are looking for a pen that will last a lifetime. These pens have durability and high quality, so you can be sure that you are getting your money’s worth.
Waterman also offers a great warranty on their products, so if anything happens to your pen, you will not need to worry. Waterman pens are an excellent choice for anyone looking for a high-quality, durable fountain pen.
Are Waterman pens better than Parker?
The Waterman pen is longer and wider than the Parker. The Parker pen feels a little bit more compact and sturdy although it is heavier due to its size. So let’s talk about appearance. The Parker Vector pen consists of steel, including the trim, top, and other parts. But the trim consists of polished steel.
The Waterman pen has a steel body with gold trim. The clip and nib of the Waterman are also gold. So it depends on your preference in the material.
As for writing quality, both pens produce clean lines and have a smooth flow. There is no clear winner in this category as it boils down to personal preference for a fair comparison.
How can I tell what model my Waterman pen is?
The easiest way to tell the model of your Waterman pen is by looking at the nib. Each model of Waterman pen has a unique nib design that can help you identify which model it is.
Another way to identify the model of your Waterman pen is by looking at the cap. The cap of each Waterman pen is also unique to that model.
How do you clean a Waterman?
To clean your Waterman pen, you will need to remove the nib and feed from the barrel of the pen. You can then flush the nib and feed with water to remove any ink buildup.
Once the nib and feed are clean, you can reassemble your pen and fill it with fresh ink. To clean the barrel of your pen, you can use a soft cloth dampened with water. Be sure to avoid getting the grips wet as they are not designed to be submerged in water.
Once you have cleaned the barrel of your pen, you can dry it off with a soft cloth. Your Waterman pen is now clean and ready to use.
Can you change the nib on a Waterman fountain pen?
Yes, you can change the nib on a Waterman fountain pen. To do so, you will need to remove the old nib from the barrel of the pen.
You can then insert the new nib into the barrel and screw it in place. Once the new nib is in place, you can reassemble your pen and fill it with fresh ink.
We hope this buying guide has helped you choose the best Waterman Phileas fountain pen for your needs. Waterman pens are an excellent choice for anyone looking for a high-quality, durable fountain pen. These pens offer a great writing experience and will last.
The Waterman Phileas is a classic fountain pen that will never go out of style. If you are looking for a high-quality, durable pen that will last a lifetime, then the Waterman Phileas is worth the investment. With proper care, your Waterman pen will be a long-term companion.